Conference and Exhibition for Retail Banking, Payments & Financial Technologies – Fintech EXPO in Dubai 2017
Interview with Mr. Mark Higgins
Read the interview with Mr. Mark Higgins, Managing Director, EMEA Business Development, BNY Mellon Global Collateral Services, United Kingdom
1. How time-consuming do you find the changes to systems, processes and documentation in non-cleared derivatives?
Not directly relevant to me as we are an agent. Given what we do for clients, we haven't had to change that much tech in order to accommodate the ongoing requirements for non-cleared derivatives.
2. On the short-term scale, what would be the worst scenario caused by inconsistency between the various sets of rules?
That clients can’t book any more deals and the industry finds something else to do that gives near to the same result. Or, the business dries up completely.
3. In your opinion, what is the most optimal way of keeping pace with regulations and requirements?
A combination of attending events such as this and engaging with trusted partners – service providers.
4. To what extent should a bank analyse the potential of a collateral change?
It’s something that the larger firms monitor regularly. They will look at their allocation ladder over months and control what has to be financed, booked and borrowed.
5. Last year, in a panel discussion organised by Risk.net, you said there was enough collateral, but it was all locked up in the grand scheme of things. How are the banks and insurance companies doing now and how have they progressed with its unlocking?
It’s moving slowly. While the market is aware of the new ideas and opportunities, it has yet to really open the taps and begin transforming collateral to meet future demands and take hold of that opportunity.
6. Can you predict the behaviour and development of the banking market with regard to having a good grasp of collateral management in the upcoming year or two?
That’s a tough one. I think it pays to be flexible and remain aware of all the options and market developments. There are many and at least some of them will become reality one day.
Read also about Mark's standpoint on EMIR in the whitepaper EMIR Update: Helping Clients Manage a Creeping Implementation Timetable
Interested in this topic?
IFRS 9 Financial Instruments
This two-day course provides an in-depth coverage of IFRS 9 along with a recap of IAS 39, to enable participants to assess the business and financial implications of adopting the new standard effective from 1 January 2018.
Certified Information Systems Security Professional
This course offers the most comprehensive review of information security concepts and industry best practices. You will gain knowledge in information security that will increase your ability to successfully implement and manage security programs in any organization or government entity.
Advanced Internal Audit with report writing and Communication skills
This course will prepare you with the latest methods, tools and concepts that prevail in the internal audit profession and is aiming to equip auditors at all levels with the best practices for presentations, team building, interviewing and negotiations.
The Bankers'Customer Experience Summit - Post Show Report
The Bankers'Customer Experience Summit was held at Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotels & Towers, Dubai, UAE on 27 – 28 September, 2016 which brought together 90+ participants, 20 speakers, 19 partners from over 10 countries. Download the post show report below to know more about the conference.
The fallout of the new driving world: interview with Fabrizio Brenner
SwissRe's Vice President sheds light on the impact of autonomous cars, accident liability, advanced driver assistance systems and much more.
An interview with Zia Zaman (Chief Innovation Officer - MetLife Asia and CEO - LumenLab, Singapore)
Zia shares his views on "Innovation in Insurance"