This event brings together distinguished personnel from banks, government bodies and technology companies to discuss and address crucial issues on how to seize new opportunities in retail banking and wealth management while making it beneficial for all stakeholders.
Interview with Mr. Mark Higgins
Read the interview with Mr. Mark Higgins, Managing Director, EMEA Business Development, BNY Mellon Global Collateral Services, United Kingdom
1. How time-consuming do you find the changes to systems, processes and documentation in non-cleared derivatives?
Not directly relevant to me as we are an agent. Given what we do for clients, we haven't had to change that much tech in order to accommodate the ongoing requirements for non-cleared derivatives.
2. On the short-term scale, what would be the worst scenario caused by inconsistency between the various sets of rules?
That clients can’t book any more deals and the industry finds something else to do that gives near to the same result. Or, the business dries up completely.
3. In your opinion, what is the most optimal way of keeping pace with regulations and requirements?
A combination of attending events such as this and engaging with trusted partners – service providers.
4. To what extent should a bank analyse the potential of a collateral change?
It’s something that the larger firms monitor regularly. They will look at their allocation ladder over months and control what has to be financed, booked and borrowed.
5. Last year, in a panel discussion organised by Risk.net, you said there was enough collateral, but it was all locked up in the grand scheme of things. How are the banks and insurance companies doing now and how have they progressed with its unlocking?
It’s moving slowly. While the market is aware of the new ideas and opportunities, it has yet to really open the taps and begin transforming collateral to meet future demands and take hold of that opportunity.
6. Can you predict the behaviour and development of the banking market with regard to having a good grasp of collateral management in the upcoming year or two?
That’s a tough one. I think it pays to be flexible and remain aware of all the options and market developments. There are many and at least some of them will become reality one day.
Read also about Mark's standpoint on EMIR in the whitepaper EMIR Update: Helping Clients Manage a Creeping Implementation Timetable
Interested in this topic?
15th Annual Retail Banking Forum
As the region's favorite conference, the Retail Banking Forum is the industry's meeting place, where seasoned banking professionals combine C-level insights on successful retail banking strategies and hands-on case studies, transforming the current financial ecosystem.
Collateral Management Forum
The most established Collateral Management Forum in Europe is approaching its 11th Annual. 2017 is turning out to be filled with questions on initial margin and variation margin deadlines, MiFID II, Brexit, digitalization in collateral management and more, which will be answered at this forum.
Sales and Marketing in Insurance
Currently, insurers must compete not only among themselves, but also with insurtech startups and disruptors. This event focuses on the latest trends in channel management, digitization, customer-centric strategies, digital customer journeys as well as product innovation.
White paper: Collateral Management 2.0 - Preparing for OTC Derivatives Margin Regulation and Beyond
Take a look at the White Paper by our Partner DTCC-Euroclear Global Collateral
The Human Face of Big Data
Modern customers are savvy, and want to choose where, when and how they wish to interact.
Interview with Michaël Nieuwesteeg
Recently, we conducted an interview with our prominent speaker – Michael Nieuwesteeg Managing Director at Netherlands Packaging Center (NVC) the future growth of packaging industry in ME region