This event brings together distinguished personnel from banks, government bodies and technology companies to discuss and address crucial issues on how to seize new opportunities in retail banking and wealth management while making it beneficial for all stakeholders.
Major Process Safety Issues at Petrochemical Companies - Interview with Mazyad Al Khaldi (TASNEE)
We recently asked Mazyad Al Khaldi (Executive Vice President - Petrochemicals, TASNEE) a few questions on the major process safety issues and what can be done to ensure sound process safety management in the workplace. You can read the interview below.
Mazyad Al Khaldi
Executive Vice President - Petrochemicals
1. What are the current process safety issues still faced by Petrochemical companies?
Petrochemical Companies continue to face traditional issues in Process Safety mainly in
- Improper PSM implementation
- Process design failure
- Manpower Competency
However, with the development and introduction of newer methods and technologies in the industry, the challenges lie in proactively ensuring that competencies, process design and PSM implementation and audits are critically and adequately addressed and executed. In TASNEE, Process Safety is continuously improved by challenge process design through HAZOP, Incident Investigations, and by minimizing human intervention. In addition to improving process design, rigorous and thorough studies are done to update and close identified gaps in manpower competency, proper procedures and documentation in order to achieve process safety excellence.
2. How important is organizational culture to ensure sound process safety management in the workplace?
Organizational Culture is integrally critical in ensuring proper process safety management. This is so because employees actions (and inactions) at different levels in the organization directly influence the implementation of different Process Safety Elements. Therefore, Organization Culture, summarized in individual and group values, attitudes, competencies, and patterns of behavior will determine how effectively Process Safety is being managed. This in turn will have an immediate impact on the ability of the organization towards achieving safety goals, preventing loss to its facilities, and preventing injuries to personnel. Process safety culture can be improved by
- Organization commitment & building trust from all levels in the organization
- Proper PSM implementation.
- Strong implementation of MOC system & HAZOP study.
- Robust audits & performance review system.
3. What are the key factors companies must consider to achieve operational excellence in mitigating process safety risks?
- Creating an environment in which the key organizational characteristics are strong
- Management visibility and leadership to lead by example which will reinforce the desired safety behaviors
- Implementing robust change management system to control process risk.
- Effective use of both leading and lagging metrics to create accountability and to communicate progress
- Each level being held accountable for appropriate
4. What are the initiatives that TASNEE has undertaken to revamp process safety culture?
TASNEE had established a management system called (IMRS) which includes measurement to maintain and improve the Company performance, TASNEE’s PSM has been incorporated and adapted into IMRS, where there are 18 elements on
- Element 02 : Process & Hazards Analysis.
- Element 08 : Design & Development.
- Element 11 : Maintenance & Reliability.
- Element 12 : Management of Change MOC.
- Element 15 : Incident Management.
- Element 18 : Audit & Review.
all of this elements can formalizing , reinforcing & enhancing process safety culture in TASNEE.
Mazyad Al Khaldi (Executive Vice President - Petrochemicals, TASNEE) will be speaking on Building a Safety Culture in Petrochemical Plants at the 2nd Annual Kingdom Process Safety. To know more, visit the link below:
Interested in this topic?
Operational Excellence in Insurance
The 5th Annual operational excellence conference is a must-attend event dedicated to enhancing digital operational excellence and overcoming the challenges surrounding digital transformation and the impact of technological development.
Credit Risk Management Forum
Credit risk management is still a big issue, IFRS 9 is going to be implemented, the digital era and big data is already influencing the banking sector and credit risk management as well. How can banks deal with all these issues?
Smart Workspace Design Summit 2016
Have a look on the infographic about the Smart Workspace Design Summit 2016.
Post Show Report 3rd Annual Oil & Gas Forum
Post Show Report from 3rd Annual HR Oil & Gas Forum
How important is the color of a car?
Have you ever thought about how important the color of a car is for insurers and insurants?